Community Service Requirements
Beginning with the graduating class of 2014, high school students in the Gilroy Unified School District must complete a minimum of 80 hours of community service. In order to graduate, all GUSD students will fulfill a minimum of 80 hours of Community Service, no
later than May 1 of their senior year. Students must earn ten hours in at least two of the following categories:
- Senior Citizens
- Young Children
- Disabled Citizens
- School Related
- The Environment
- The Homeless
- Animal Care
- Promoting Health and Physical Fitness
- Promoting the Arts and Culture
For more specific information, see GUSD Community Service Guidelines
Contacting an Organization
1. Decide what area of service interests you.
2. Research the organizations in the area that fit with your interests. Get to know a little bit about what their mission is. Who is the contact person?
3. Make a phone call:
- Introduce yourself, explain that you are interested in volunteering.
- Ask : Are there any opportunities available for you? Do I need to have a parent with me? Do I need a permission slip? Where exactly do I report and to whom do I report?
- Say THANK YOU.
4. If you need to leave a message make sure you speak slowly and clearly. Leave your full name, your contact number, and the reason why you were calling.